Wednesday, May 12, 2010

mommy brain

I used to have dreams all the time when I was younger about getting on the school bus and suddenly discovering I had forgotten to wear shoes, or looking down in one of my classes and noticing I was still in pajamas. I'd have to forage through the lost and found and piece together some ridiculous outfit from the lost and forgotten articles of my classmates. And I was always as embarrassed as if I had shown up completely naked.

Fast forward to last Friday, when my mother-in-law and sister-in-law were visiting us. I had been excited all week to go see the movie Babies, and there was a showing that allowed you to bring your kids along at 1pm. I made sure Elliott had his morning nap, ate lunch, and had plenty of distractions in case he became a hooligan halfway during the movie. We were going to try to cram lunch in before the movie, so we scurried out the door and headed for the movies.

After parking and visiting the ATM, I started to notice how nice and cosy my feet felt as I walked toward the restaurant. This is not a typical realization for me, because I have always felt like cuteness and price trumped comfort and at this point I am usually kicking myself for not wearing sensible sneakers. Slowly it dawned on me that I had not made a good shoe choice. I was still wearing my shearling lined house slippers. Granted they have a good sole on the bottom, but that isn't the point. I had on makeup, my hair was done, I was wearing cute clothes, and I still had on my houseshoes. I felt like a goofball, but sadly I did not learn my lesson so well. On the way to Elliott's doctor appointment yesterday, I had to turn around halfway down our street to go put on real shoes.

I'm not sure I'll be able to leave the house if we have another baby, for fear that I'll wind up naked at the grocery store, or in a bath towel for a play date.

1 comment:

Blenda Koder said...

Nicki you crack me up....but guess what...I have done the same thing and probably worse. I have worn one black and one blue shoe to work ...MORE THAN ONCE!!