Monday, February 12, 2007

An Alternate Universe....



One where they advertise sonic to tease me. To mock me.


You see, sometimes I have these days when a pick-me-up is in order. It doesn't take much to do this for me. During college, my roommate Suzy showed me the endorphin releasing magic of Cherry Vanilla Coke (and only the sonic kind will do). I would have a monster final schedule, a bad hair day, and a 12 hour shift as a hostess to look forward to, but a quick trip to sonic would bring things back into perspective. Its like a rainbow in a styrofoam cup.
There are commercials for sonic, but I haven't seen one since I've been in Michigan. So I thought, "I'll just look at their website to find the nearest location." I would drive 45 minutes to go to an outlet mall on Saturday, and a trip to sonic would make it all the better if there happened to be one along the way.
But there isn't. In fact, there isn't a sonic for 15o miles. at least. The nearest one I found was in Indiana. I can't justify a trip to Indiana for any reason. I've tried.
There are great things about Michigan. They sell hard alcohol in grocery stores (Margaritas are now a one-stop option). There is snow consistently for Christmas. They sell soup everywhere. Lots of coffee and hot chocolate. Lots of diversity. Cool Music venues. Antique theaters. Beautiful scenery.
There are things I hold personally against Michigan. Like never closing down for snow. No HEB. No sonic. No mexican food. I can't ever wear flip flops. Or skirts. Or go sans-parka. No parking. Rediculous rent. I mean, this isn't California. It isn't New York. The closest major Metropolitan area is DETROIT. I don't want to pay $1000 a month for a one bedroom 45 minutes from Detroit. I want to be paid to live that close to Detroit. I'm scared to even visit Detroit. David went for a car show and said it was like stepping into a third world country. People are constantly getting shot.
Location, Location, Location?
Whatever

No comments: