Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Uncle


So a month ago I wasn't convinced enough to "train" Elliott to sleep through the night. I figured he was so young, and still eating so frequently, that surely if I gave him time he would start eventually sleeping for longer intervals.

I was wrong.

Instead, Elliott has regressed somewhat, and last night he woke up no less than 5 times. This has happened on and off for a couple of weeks, and I give in. I'll probably end up ranting later on about how babies DO NOT TRAIN for sleep. But I'll give it a try. I really, really want to sleep longer than four hours, and it hasn't happened in months.

At first, I tried to stretch Elliott's feeding intervals, but he seems to be doing that on his own now, without my trying really. My friend Georgina tried to coax me into doing this for him, but I caved, and now he did it on his own. HOWEVER, instead of sleeping at longer intervals at night, he has one good stretch then constantly wakes up for the rest of the night. Or at least, I think he's waking up, but according to lots of baby sleep experts, he may just be having a wakeful period and I am rushing to his noisy side before he can go back to a deeper sleep. We share our bedroom with him, and David is a light sleeper. I'm usually launched out of bed before he's whimpered.

Tonight, however, David has been advised to wear earplugs. I am going to feed him at 3 am, but then not again until it is time to get up for the day. I may die. I'm just hoping I won't cave. It is so hard to be rational at 3 am. And it's so easy to just let him nurse for five minutes and put him back in his crib. I just don't want to do it 6 times a night anymore. I have to think big picture.

Big picture, Nicki. You're the mom. You can do this.

I'm so dead.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

You can do it! I do the same thing and rush to get him because I dont want Scott to be tired for work. Although I find if I let him fuss for about 5 minutes he will fall back asleep. If he is outright crying I go to get him. I am not the one to give advice at all though considering Bradley still doesnt sleep through the night. Good luck!