Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Love...In an elevator

Yesterday I got a call from one of the professors that I work for asking me to call the maintenance people and tell them that one of our employees, a 6-months-pregnant Asian lady, was stuck in one of the elevators. The elevator wasn't in my building, and they asked all kinds of questions I didn't know how to answer, like what floor she was stuck on and what the elevator number is. Eventually they gave me a work order number and said they had someone on the way.

Fast forward to 10:00 am today, almost 20 hours later. The elevator is apparently broken again, because I just heard another maintenance call take place 30 minutes ago. My phone rings, and its the plant ops (maintenance) customer service rep. She wants to know how satisfied we were with their work.

"Well, from what I understand it is still broken," I say.

"Yes, but I wanted to make sure the pregnant lady got out okay."

I haven't seen her today at all. For all I know she's still in the elevator. Wouldn't you expect the people who fix broken things to go back and check the "broken elevator with pregnant lady inside" off of some master problem list? And if not, wouldn't you hope that they would check on the pregnant lady's safety sometime sooner than 19 hours later?

No comments: